Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cocoa Bites


These are amazing!  Not because I made them, they are easy as hell.  They are amazing because they taste fantastic and are actually good for you.  I found other recipes for energy bites, but they either used stuff I didn't want or stuff I didn't have.  So, here is my version of them!

I used very loose measurements in this.  As I had never made them before I didn't know what to expect.  And I have learned that our humidity down here is something that I need to take into consideration while making sticky stuff.  Especially when I don't want it that sticky!  So, when you start to make it, use the amounts you think will work best.

1 cup gluten free rolled oats
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup ground chia seed
1/4 cup cocoa powder
5 - 6 medjool dates, pitted and rough chopped
Enough honey to make it all group together

Add oats and coconut to food processor and pulse until a fine meal has formed.  Add chia and cocoa powder and pulse some more.  Drop in the dates and give it another whirl, at this point it should resemble a course powder, with some packing ability.  Turn the processor on and slowly add honey.  Mine formed a dough after about 1/4 cup honey, but it could be different for you.

Once the dough is formed you should be able to take a teaspoon sized scoop and roll it into a ball in the palms of your hands.  I ended up with insanely messy hands, but the end result is completely worth it.  This made about 24 small bites.

Our 4 year old loves them, and so do I!  My husband even gave it his seal of approval, and he doesn't like sweet stuff.

These are loaded in fiber, have anti-inflammatory properties, and a nice boost of iron.  And chia seeds are chock full of anti-oxidants.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment